Anyway, when I started a document tonight called "Song Journal," I had a quick-but-vague memory of a previous document with the same title. I did a little searching and I found the mother load-- a huge file filled with some pretty complete songs along with all sorts of disheveled ideas that kind of read like weird poetry. Though years old, I did find some that I actually think will be potential starters for new songs which I will conceal for now. What I will share, however, are a few unedited snippets that amused me and probably won't turn into anything further. Have a laugh, have a cry, and maybe even try to take a guess on where I was in my life when the words were initially penned.
***
I wanna live off breakfast food
Under a starkissed sky
With the morning moon
And you tickling my arm
High every single day
Off the joy that you wrap me up in
When you’re tickling my arm
But more than that, I wanna pass that comfort onto you
And I will gladly scratch your back
Enveloped in our comforters
Wearing nothing at all but each other’s smells
Even when we don’t smell good, you’ll still smell good
And no matter how tired my arm gets,
I’m gonna scratch your back
If we could swim in oceans
Of the ideal temperature
You know, we shriek because we’re cold but won’t run out
‘cause we’re too warm
And laugh so damn much
We have these bomb ass six packs
Though we never even did a single crunch
Yeah that would make me happy
Let’s pop bubble wrap together
But if I ever scratch too hard or to the point where you go
numb
And you start to feel antsy instead of perfectly content
Then you just tell me
And I’ll rub your head
Or tickle your arm
Or just hold onto your hand.
***
I like the love
But I don’t love you
So stop misinterpreting me please
Maybe when I go you’ll realize
Then come chasing after me
Show up on my doorstep
With flowers
Just like in the movies
But I doubt it cause it’s you babe
Did you steal my pillow? I can’t
seem to fall asleep.
***
I had this friend who went for 65 days
With half of a front tooth
From a drunken accident
And somehow still she sparkled
I wish somedays that I’d been born without a single
pretentious bone in my body
And the ability to dust off every kid’s judgment
But it’s me and I care and I’m starting not to care
If you care cause it’s me and I don’t care about you
Anymore, If I care
Then all of you will find a me that isn’t even really there
And I’ll still care (but I don’t care)
There was this girl who never cared
And though I can’t stand cigarettes
She looked nonchalant and cool when she smoked
Pretty rough, but really pretty
She exuded part of what I want to be
She didn’t care
Head to toe, designer names, I thought I’m too cool for her,
Who the hell does she think she’ll impress here?
Secretly maybe I thought “well, she’s too cool for me”
But it turned out
She was so damn down to earth
More money in her bloodline than my bank account could
fathom, but besides the clothes and shoes, I had no idea
***
It’s a struggle to be different
When different is the same
A tornado round in circles
Demanding dirt to tell it who’s to blame
But the blame just isn’t placeable
She’s got nowhere to drop it
‘cept upon her tiny shoulders
or softly on her mothers back
where it belongs
***
I drink you in, you fill me up, more satisfying than that
blue Montana sky
I’d rather have the wind ripple
over me than a satin sheath or gown
Paint me by and ocean or a mountain or that lakeshore
All I want’s a boat
***
It’s the color of her hair
I think it’s pretty but my friends assure me mine’s a better
shade
Although, with them I must agree
That her skin’s unnaturally
Tan.
But still I wish I thought
that she
was stupid and ugly
But I know that you know better than to waste your time on
nonsense
Even though she’s a little racist
And probably
Calls her sorority sister things like
“what up bitch” and “I fucking love you whore”
Ew.
***
Coming soon (if I have the balls, that is)-- the parody song I wrote to the Cup Song from "Pitch Perfect" about all of my exes. Muahahaha. Ooh! Also I am recording some original music [not mine, but still pumped] on Monday. More deets later, gator.
Is anyone still reading this? Tonight, half hoping the answer is no. Off to work on my New York accent.
xxo.
I am !!!!!!
ReplyDeleteMe, too!
ReplyDeleteThought you might have written something new on your blog, you have so much going on! Also, this is brilliant:
ReplyDeleteI like the love
But I don’t love you
So stop misinterpreting me please
Maybe when I go you’ll realize
Then come chasing after me
Show up on my doorstep
With flowers
Just like in the movies
But I doubt it cause it’s you babe
Did you steal my pillow? I can’t seem to fall asleep.