10.04.2010

manage me?

On Thursday, I had a meeting with a potential manager, Joy, that was set up by my manager from the east coast, Linda. Linda was hoping that when I moved to LA, Joy would be willing to co-represent me with her so that I would have some coverage on both coasts, as well as someone to give me some more personal attention out here. Joy and her husband, Charlie (an actor who's been in just about every TV show you could rattle off), met me at a restaurant in Calabasas and we had a great time getting to know each other and chatting about my goals, their experiences, and how to move forward. They have agreed to take me on as one of their clients (yay!), and made lots of suggestions for me in terms of moving forward, getting enrolled in some acting classes (which I am eager to do), and starting to make some real progress. They are a very sweet, well-connected older couple (she was an agent for 25 years before starting her management company), and I am looking forward to getting to know them better. They could be like my west coast grannies, since mine are so far away!

You might be a little curious about the role of a manager, so let me try to clear that up. A manager serves as a liaison between a talent and their agent(s). The agent actually gets the auditions, but they go through the manager to actually set them up for the talent since agents don't typically get to know their talent on a super-intimate level. This also means that the manager is more readily available to give personal guidance when it comes to auditioning and such.

The next step is for Joy to get me auditions/meetings with agents, which will be a much tougher process. I have high hopes, though, and it looks like our first attempt will be to get me a commercial agent (one who only books commercials, as opposed to TV/film). I will keep you posted on how things develop from here!

Oh, and I had another callback today. This time it was for a TV pilot, and I thought I had totally bombed the initial audition, so it was a bit of a confidence booster (though tons of girls were called back). Of course it's actually booking a job that will get me excited, but it does feel nice to have been called back for both auditions that I have gone out for so far. Thanks to everyone for all the good luck and wishes... maybe it's working!

xxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment