11.10.2010

roses & thorns.

One of my favorite games to play with friends (or fabulous Hitched co-workers) is "rose & thorn." Ok, it's not really a game... you simply go around and say the highlight (aka rose) and low point (aka thorn) of your day. Since there has been a lot going on lately and I haven't had a ton of time to write, I thought I would share some roses & thorns from my past couple weeks.

Rose #1:
My trip to Pittsburgh. It was so fulfilling to spend time with my college friends celebrating Pitt's homecoming and Halloween. From baking pumpkin whoopie pies to enjoying classic Pittsburgh eats (Hem's spinach dip and late night Primanti's), and tailgating for the game (who cares that we didn't make it in?!) to partying in Southside for Halloween, I had such a wonderful, memorable time.



My incredible family also had a little get together for me on Halloween, and I was so happy to see everyone together! I can't believe how awesome my aunts, uncles, and cousins are-- dropping everything on a busy weekend just to get together and spend time with me (and each other). The only part that was a thorn about it was that it went by too fast! But all in all, the time I had in one of my favorite cities was well worth the trip.


Thorn #1:
The first few days I got back from the 'burgh, I felt unbearable amounts of homesickness and doubt about living so far away. Leaving LA for the first time and coming back to it made it much more real that I actually live here now, and that it's not just a vacation. These feelings have since subsided a great deal, but it made me a little nervous for how I might feel when I get back from being home for 3 weeks after the holidays. However, I am in a much better mindset now, and my next rose will give me something exciting to come home to in January!

Rose #2:
Shiggs and I have an apartment! After days of what felt like endless searching, I finally settled on a neighborhood called Playa Vista, which is just about a mile down the road from where I live now in the Marina. Of course, being my indecisive self, I am still second guessing whether it's the *perfect* place, but it certainly has a lot of positive qualities and great amenities: a mile from the beach, in an area I am really familiar with, washer/dryer in unit (very rare out here), 2 pools, a gym, across the street from a great farmer's market, and a guest suite that is much cheaper than an LA hotel (hint, hint family and friends)! While it will still require a bit of driving to work/auditions for Sarah and I, we concluded that the traffic was worth enduring since we will be so close to the shoreline for the first time in both of our lives. Check out the new digs!


Thorn #2:
Boss Gal is out of town right now, but she left me with a bunch of tasks to do while she was gone (IKEA trips, sorting receipts for taxes, etc.). One of these tasks is cutting out fabric squares for a quilt she is making, and while slicing away at fabric with an uber-sharp tool this evening, I sliced through two of my fingers-- oops! I'm okay (nurse Zoe concluded stitches were not necessary), but it certainly cut into my project for the night. Oh well, back to it tomorrow-- band-aids and all!

I'll try to keep you updated on more roses & thorns as a quick way to update-- and I would love to hear some of yours in the comments!

xxo.

1 comment:

  1. ROSE!! (Which is funny.. this is what Dicksinson Kappas call their "Glads") But Joe and I started our Hip Hop class on Sunday!! We never made it out in time to start the weekend of Homecoming. But I'm pretty sure they all thought I was crazy because I smiled/ giggled/ laughed to myself the ENTIRE class while wonderful/ hilarious memories flooded my mind of Greek Sing and random dance parties!! I still can't walk three days later but I am so excited to go again this weekend!! We'll show you our new moves over the holidays!! <3 L&L

    ReplyDelete