First things first. My life has been much more drama-infused in the past couple weeks, mainly because of my new acting class! I started taking classes at a theater school called Playhouse West, which was recommended to me by a fellow actress from the film I worked on this past summer (she plays the mom in "At the Top of the Pyramid" and is super talented). It's a very intense training program based on a particular method of acting called the Meisner technique. What's particularly cool about Playhouse West is that 3 of the teachers were actually students of Sandy Meisner (who developed the technique), one of them being a teacher that I have in class. There are very few people still teaching who learned from Meisner himself (though apparently lots of people claim that they have), so the school prides itself on having a full understanding of this acting approach. It's a pretty serious undertaking-- we have 2 3-hour classes per week, plus rehearsal classes, one-on-one rehearsals, and book/play reports. Though I know it's going to be tough, I am looking forward to becoming more disciplined and focused, which I feel are areas in my acting training where I am lacking. So far I have gotten positive feedback from my instructors, but I am still in the very beginning stages. I will keep you posted on how it goes!
It's kind of strange to now have something taking up so much of my time, but I think it's going to be a good thing for me because I generally work better and live happier when I am busy and have to meet deadlines and prioritize. It's a bit tough right now, given that there seems to be so much to do with the big move coming up next week, and then heading home for such a long period of time in just 3 short weeks-- but I am just trying to take things day by day and am sure it will all work out.
An intense scene in "Next to Normal"
I'm also glad to be back in an acting class again because it inspires me to see more live theater. Last night, Gaby and I went to see a fabulous musical-- the national tour of "Next to Normal." It is a very dark musical about a dysfunctional family that left us both in tears (mostly due to the sad storyline, but also because of the incredible vocal performances of the actors and unreal set/lighting design). I'll spare you the details because there are some shocking twists, but I would highly recommend seeing this show if it's coming your way. Seeing people in terrible life situations certainly makes you reflect on how good you really have it, especially this time of year. Many thanks to Gaby for treating me to this fabulous (yet heart wrenching-- I'm so sorry!!) belated birthday evening. I had a fabulous time with my fabulous friend.
Fabulous friends-- that's one thing I am most certainly thankful for this year. A friend who sees plays with me and bitches with me about the sucky parts of trying to be an actor in this town (while still being super supportive and inspiring). A friend who bakes with me while sipping festive cocktails and listening to holiday tunes, and whose family is taking me in for Thanksgiving despite the fact that she might not even make it herself (the life of an on-call nurse-- fingers crossed!). A friend who video chats me at 2am EST even though she is studying for law school finals, just so that I can witness the wonderful effects of College Park Thanksgiving Eve on other friends. A friend who's driving across the country to make a new home here with me in one short week, and the friends coming along for the ride. New friends for introducing me to more new friends, friends who call me when anything funny/eventful happens in the wedding industry because they know I'll care, friends who are good at picking up right where we left off even when we are bad about keeping in touch, friends near and friends far (DC, PA, NYC, Vegas, a cruise in the middle of the ocean, Borneo...)-- you people keep me going when the going gets tough, and I'll be sending all my love your way this Thanksgiving.
Of course there is so much more to be thankful for (awesome family who I can't wait to skype with tomorrow and see in person SO soon, the donation-based yoga studio I just discovered, healthy self/loved ones... revert back to my 25th birthday post if you want me to bore you with more, haha). I'll be honest-- it sucks not to be home for what will be the last Thanksgiving at the Smith Grannies' house, but I'm still falling asleep this Thanksgiving feeling pretty blessed.
Hope you're all surrounded by so much love today... and know that if you're reading this, you are in my thoughts! Wishing everyone a safe, delicious, happy, and thoughtful Thanksgiving.
xxo.

No comments:
Post a Comment