Admittedly, I have a lot of blogging to catch up on. As most of you know, I just got back to LA from a rather long (and extremely enjoyable) trip back to the east coast. There were tons of highlights-- BBQ's and house parties and froyo trips with my dearest friends, a fun-filled and relaxing Deep Creek trip with my wonderful family, being a part of my darling Fallon's nuptials to the oh-so-great Joe Murray in Pittsburgh... the list goes on! And I promise, I'll be back to blog about all that. In the meantime, Facebook photos of the trip are up (with even more to come), so that should at least tide you over for now.
What sucks about these long trips back home is coming back to my "real" life here in LA. Granted, many would argue that my strange schedule and lack of a full-time job seems luxurious at times, but I beg to differ. These days, what I wouldn't give for a sense of stability-- a career that would allow me to not constantly panic about finances, to give me paid vacation and sick days, to provide benefits. Don't get me wrong-- I still love being a part of the entertainment industry. It's just that right now, it doesn't really feel like I am much of a part of it, which can get pretty discouraging. But they say it's all about the struggle-- right?!
I recently took up waitressing again since it seemed like the most logical way to make money quickly, and allowed me the flexibility to swift shifts with people as auditions or other opportunities came up. This new restaurant seemed incredibly promising in terms of income, until our liquor license got postponed for about two months. Turns out people don't really want to hang out in a beer bar where they don't serve booze. I worked for about two months making very little money, only to have the liquor license arrive on the day that I was leaving town. I tried my best to keep a smile on my face, despite having to rent my room out for the month since I wasn't going to be able to pay my rent.
Fast forward to my first day back at work this week, in a restaurant that seems brand new! It was incredibly busy for a Wednesday, and I was excited that I'd finally be rolling in the dough. We don't get our tips until the following shift (they are all pooled and have to be calculated ahead of time), so I wouldn't actually know how much I made until Friday. Well, during my Friday shift, my boss chooses to hand me my tips (folded up in a piece of paper labeled LALA-- my work nickname, I suppose?) right in the middle of the madness of a Friday night, so I leave it in my apron after counting it. $150-- I am so pumped! I even text Zoe to let her know my relief.
Maybe I jinxed it. Because when I go to put the tips in my purse at the end of the night, they have mysteriously disappeared from my apron. What we can only assume happened is that they slid into one of my check presenters, meaning that one of my customers hit the jackpot that night and made a nice little profit off of their dinner (and chose not to turn in the mystery moolah). I was devastated. Partly because I lost the money, but also partly because I was so distraught that I am at a place in my life where $150 truly felt like the end of the world. Bummer, right?! Don't worry-- I woke up the next morning with a positive attitude and kept telling myself that there are MUCH worse things that could have happened to me, and have kept right on working (though I can't say I've enjoyed it) ever since.
Another thing that I forgot about waitressing was that, when you work in a restaurant (or in my case, a loud bar) and have to use your voice a lot after having vocal chord surgery (which I did a couple years back), you tend to lose your voice. A lot. Not particularly conducive to someone who is trying to use their voice professionally as an actress/singer.
So what I am asking you, my dear friends and fam, is to please help me brainstorm! Can you think of any other flexible jobs that will pay enough for me to manage my bills (of which there are many), where I wouldn't have to use my voice too much?
Sorry if this post comes across as whiney-- I promise that, no matter how frustrated I get, I still take time to acknowledge my many blessings (including all of you) each and every day.
xxo.
7.25.2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Leigh! I feel so bad :(...is there anything I can do to help you? I also think you would be AWESOME at doing makeup/hair as a side job...for weddings, headshots, red-carpet stuff...I swear you would make the big bucks! Hang in there love. I really hope to see you this weekend :(
ReplyDeleteI agree with Gaby. Also, your writing skills are awesome, as would be your editing and proofreading skills. Maybe you can check out local universities, businesses, blogs, etc. where people may need help with that. If any new work comes my way, I'll definitely hire you. Plus you've already worked for me and I'll give you a glowing reference!
ReplyDeleteHow about writing?? Any columns you could write as a syndicated writer?? I don't know how all of that works but I do know I love reading your writing. Xo
ReplyDelete