OK, this time it wasn't just me and a movie, but this is another movie review nonetheless. This afternoon, my friend Owen and I went to see '127 Hours,' starring James Franco and directed by Danny Boyle (of 'Slumdog Millionaire' fame). For those of you who aren't familiar with this flick, it is based on a book called 'Between a Rock and a Hard Place,' which is the true story of a man who became trapped under a rock while hiking alone in Utah and (after being stuck for 5 days) ends up cutting off his own arm to break free. Pretty intense, right?!
I must say, this was the most compelling, captivating and well made film that I have seen in recent memory. The fact that almost all of the movie is simply a camera wedged between some rocks filming one man, and yet the entire audience is remarkably engrossed is mind blowing. Yes, there are some flashbacks and other cool aesthetics here and there to keep you stimulated, but the majority of the movie is just James Franco and a camera.
I went to an acting class last week that James studied in for over 9 years (which I am thinking about starting to take regularly) and the students were discussing the film, which prompted me to want to see it right away. If this film is any indication of the type of skill you can develop as an actor by truly devoting yourself to your craft, then I feel all the more motivated to do so-- because James Franco is incredible. The range of emotion he shows throughout the film, as well as his ability to create such a likable, relatable character in such an unbelievable situation is truly impressive. It's hard to put it into words, but I honestly don't think it would be possible to see this film and not be completely intrigued... which is pretty crazy, considering that the storyline is pretty much laid out for you going into it. I actually had a really emotional reaction to it at the end, which surprised me because it is by no means a sad ending. It was almost as if my emotions were so heightened throughout the course of the movie that they needed a way to come back down again. Quite strange, indeed.
I would highly recommend seeing this movie in theaters. For those of you worried about the graphic elements, I think you should be okay. I am a cover-my-eyes-at-the-scary-parts kind of gal, and I held up pretty well just by glancing away quickly when it got really intense (which was brief). Someone in my same theater did not handle it quite as well, however-- there was a moment of commotion when another patron collapsed and had to be taken out in a wheelchair, which I actually heard has been happening in other theaters around the country during this film-- I had never heard of such a thing! I hope you don't let that scare you, though... it really is worth the risk!
Anyone else have thoughts on '127 Hours,' or any other movie recommendations to share?
xxo.
11.15.2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Sounds great--and any excuse to look at James Franco for two hours is good enough for me!
ReplyDelete