11.03.2010

updates.

Sorry it has been a bit since I have written! I was in Pittsburgh this past weekend (more on my fabulous trip later) and worked a lot leading up to it, so I didn't have much time to fill you all in.

A couple updates to share on the acting front. I mentioned that I took an acting class the other week but never really filled you in. It was pretty cool and I learned a lot in the few hours I was there, including the fact that I need to watch more television to familiarize myself with more of the non-reality TV that's still out there, and that if I continue to take this class, the instructor plans to help me act more immaturely so that I can go out for younger roles. I haven't had a chance to go back yet, and may audit (read: do a test run and attend for free) a couple other classes in the next couple weeks just to make sure it is a good fit, but definitely want to start some classes on a more regular basis.

Next piece of business is that I now have a commercial agent! Her name is Nancy and she is with an agency called Lewis & Beal, and she will be submitting me for auditions for commercials, print jobs, and hosting jobs (like the hosts you see on reality TV shows, etc.). We are just getting the logistics squared away, but I am looking forward to working with them and enjoyed getting to know Nancy and Jackie (one of the owners) at our first meeting.

Lastly, I went to an audition last week for a company called The Actors Group, which puts on workshops where casting directors come to see you perform scenes and then can invite you to audition to future projects that they're working on. It's free to audition, but you have to be accepted into the group in order to attend the workshops. My manager suggested I audition because it really helps to put yourself out there in front of the casting directors so that they think of you as an actual person, rather than just a picture and resume in a pile. Well, I auditioned last week and found out shortly thereafter that I was accepted! I haven't decided which workshops to attend this month (there are 3 per week and apparently not all of them are worth attending), but with the guidance of my managers and some research, I hope to pick out a few good ones to go to before the holidays come around.

If any of the above is confusing, feel free to comment or email me and I will gladly elaborate-- I know I just dished out a lot of information at once... but there you have it! As hard as it is to stay focused when my day-to-day tasks feel monotonous and not the least bit glamorous (being a personal assistant is certainly not the most fulfilling job), I have to keep telling myself that things are indeed happening... slowly but surely. This is the reason I came here and though it's easy to get discouraged, I am going to continue to try to move forward and put myself out there.

Up next? A Pittsburgh recap, and a rundown of what will ultimately suck a lot of time out of my next couple weeks-- apartment searching! I can't believe Shiggs will begin her drive to the west coast THIS MONTH. For now, though, it's off for a Nyquil-induced sleep, as I seem to have picked up some sort of bug between the 'burgh and here. Goodnight... love and miss you all!

xxo.

3 comments:

  1. so proud of you! i think everything is falling into pieces for you! i wish all the best for you :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love you, wife! So proud of you for going after what you want! Mucho love - can't wait to see you over the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to feel even more filled in about what you're up to. It may feel hard, but it all does sound like things are moving that may not have been moving before. You are definitely going places ... and I don't have to say that just cause I'm your mom.

    ReplyDelete