9.23.2010

my actress mentality.

**I know this post is long and picture-less, but if you plan to check this blog regularly, I'd love it if you'd read it all the way through. Thanks!**

One of my oldest acting-related memories is auditioning for a play when I was about 11 or 12 years old. It was something my mom and I had found in the "Auditions" section of The Washington Post's "Guide to the Lively Arts." I did not get a part. I cried and agonized and even went so far as to insist that my mother call and ask the company why I had not been cast (which she did... hope that wasn't too embarrassing, Cath!). This was my first of many rejection experiences as an actress, and I'd like to think that my way of handling such instances has greatly improved since then.

In recent years, I have developed a mentality when it comes to handling the inevitable rejection of this industry. When faced with an audition or opportunity I prepare as best as I can and give it my all, but as soon as it's over, I try my hardest to forget about it. When you think about it, my chances of landing any given role (especially now that I am in LaLaLand) are about one in a million, and while I of course believe that "someone's gotta get it, might as well be me," I am also a realist. If I leave each audition behind me and move on to the next one without any expectation, I am much less likely to feel disappointed, therefore allowing me to devote my energy and positivity toward opportunities to come. Basically, what this means is that I leave each audition assuming the worst, and if I book a job, it is a pleasant (and exciting!) surprise.

Of course there are bound to be roles that I just want SO badly that they'll be impossible to leave behind in the casting director's office, but so far this "expect nothing, accept everything" mentality has worked well for me (though I am sure it's not for everyone).

The reason I am sharing this with all of you (my nearest & dearest) is that I would like for you to keep this in mind if I am going to be as candid as possible on this blog. I want to be open and tell you all about auditions and things because it's all very exciting... but I just ask that everyone to do their best to remember that, while I appreciate your well wishes and crossed-fingers and endless amounts of love more than you'll ever know, sometimes (for my sanity) I may need you to bite your tongue a little. This can be a discouraging industry, and the last thing a struggling actress needs on an off day is someone asking if I ever heard back about that commercial/movie/TV pilot I auditioned for last week. Believe me, if I book a job, you will be informed! I hope you all understand where I am coming from and that this does not come off as a bratty or ridiculous demand... just something that would mean a lot to me and help me to stay positive. And of course, words of luck and encouragement (as well as life updates/juicy gossip/funny comments) from all of you will always be welcome and appreciated!

This all being said, I had my first west coast audition last week for a fast food commercial, and then yesterday I had a callback! I have been under the weather and didn't feel super great about it, but I was very happy to have gotten a callback for the first job that I auditioned for out here. You never know!

Thanks for reading from the bottom of my heart.

xxo.

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever heard the term "thinking like a golfer?". It's the legitimate mental practice that golfers utilize where they only think about the good holes that they've just completed, and totally block out the bad ones, so as to not let the mistakes they've made effect their game. You have the same attitude about your acting.....and I think it's the best way to go about it :-) You're so smart....and if acting doesn't work out, you've clearly got a leg up on golf! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have the same mentality so i completely understand :) i'll try to keep my curious brain at ease and bite my tongue ;) so proud of you! I wish you all the luck in the world!

    ReplyDelete