9.27.2010

green smoothie goodness.

While on set for "At the Top of the Pyramid," I became familiar with an entertainment industry food trend that I decided to try for myself this morning. Many of the crew members drank these mysterious looking, shamrock-colored concoctions and swore by the health benefits, but I was initially turned off by the look of the drink (we all know I am not a huge green vegetable fan). Well, Kelly from the wardrobe department brought me a sample one day (surprisingly delish!) and instructed me to visit her favorite food blog, written by a vegan celeb nutritionist who is famous for these "green smoothies."

To quote Kimberly Snyder's blog:

"Drinking green smoothies is a great way to incorporate tremendous amounts of greens into your diet – far more than just eating your veggies. Blending helps make greens’ full spectrum of nutrition readily available to the body. Nutrients are encased inside plant cells and getting their benefits requires these cells’ walls to be ruptured. Greens need to be worked down to a creamy consistency, but most people simply don’t chew that much! Blending addresses this problem, helping your body absorb the maximum amount of nutrition from your greens."



Kimberly's blog has tons of great smoothie recipes, but she pretty much gives you the basics and tells you to throw in whatever you have at home that you think would mesh well. Here's what I did today, and it turned out amazingly well! Seriously-- the fruit cuts right through the taste of the greens.

1 1/2 cups of filtered water
3 big handfuls of raw spinach
1/3 bunch of fresh parsley
2 celery stalks
1 banana (I froze it last night so the texture would be more creamy)
1 green apple (woulda put in 2 if I had 'em!)
Small handful of blueberries
4-5 strawberries
Sprinkle of flax seed meal (which I often put in my yogurt)
Couple ice cubes

Blend all of the greens with the water first until it gets smooth, then start to add the other ingredients. This makes enough for about 3 smoothies, and she suggests freezing what you don't drink, then putting it in the fridge the night before you plan to drink it so it thaws back to a drinkable consistency.

I can't believe how many fruits and veggies I just drank for breakfast! Let's see how long it keeps me full (especially after a birthday weekend filled with so many delicious meals... but more on that later). :) Dad, these are sooo right up your alley. Please make one and let me know what you think!

There are also cool stories and photos on her blog... I mean look at this chick. If these smoothies are going to give me her glowing skin and phenomenal figure, sign me up! Of course I am not prepared to give up meats and cheese and eating out and the other wonderful things about food (she is pretty freakin' hardcore about the raw/vegan movement), but I am certainly ready to try to incorporate these smoothies into my diet to hopefully feel more energy and boost my immune system!

No comments:

Post a Comment